Friday, October 28, 2011

Q & A by Lacey Dawn - Winter 2011

1. You were once quite the party girl, and have recently completely turned your life around- what made you decide to do that? And what was the biggest challenge?
  Putting down the bottle was the biggest challenge honestly; I know you’re going to ask me if anyone gave me help. . . But no one really did. I didn’t go to ADAC or have counseling. I just started to see the bigger picture. I was losing my family, my friends were only around me when it was time to party and I had gained weight. Not to mention I attracted the wrong type of men, all because I was living a poor lifestyle. So After I was banned from a bar I realized it was time to change, now or never (This was summer 2008, I was only 21) So I started to wean myself off of the alcohol, until I realized It wasn’t working, I could either drink or figure out my life. Back in the spring I had worked an apprenticing shift at a local bar taking photographs for a fellow photographer friend Dion Wichmann. After he reviewed my photos he told me I did a great job, I have the eye for photography, I was ecstatic. I had loved taking photographs ever since I was a child. Then when my parents were away I made one of those radical life changing decisions, went into my savings and bought myself a used camera, flash, and zoom lens. Ever since I picked up that camera; I haven’t picked up another drink! My last drink was May 20th 2009, and I intend to keep it that way.

2. Were you always interested in photography? If not, when did you find out that was what you wanted to do?
  When I was just a little kid I had always seen my father with his camera, taking photos of everything from Landscapes to my Aunt and Uncles wedding, I wanted to know what that was like. When I was only 8 years old my oldest brother Matthew gave me his film camera, I still have that camera to this day. In the summer of 1999 I enrolled in a summer photography program with The City of St.Albert. I loved it. I learned how to do everything. I enrolled in a second photography program in grade 11 (2004) I always knew and wanted to be the one taking the photographs, in the photographs, or in the production of the photographs. That’s why when I was just a kid I made a promise to myself, that when I grew up I would be.

3. The Photography world isn’t the easiest to get into- how did you climb so quickly in this trade?
  That’s simple I dove in face first! My life became about photography, even my entire apartment has been transformed into my work place (Office, studio, etc. . .) It wasn’t easy, but where there is a will. . .

4. You do all your own editing and find your own models, does that offer you an advantage or disadvantage?
  Finding your own victims, I mean models can be very challenging at times. It seems other people are never as serious about the photo sessions as you are. So it takes a lot of time out of my days, weeks, months planning my shoots. I prefer to edit my own images. It really is a huge part of the photography. The way you change the color changes the way the photograph feels. Plus having a part in every last detail of each and every photo session makes me have a greater sense of accomplishment when it all works out & makes a portfolio worthy image.

5. You also do some modeling yourself; do you find you enjoy being behind the lens or in front of it more?  
  That’s a very tough question Lacey, which I have been asked time and time again. I honestly haven’t decided yet. I love the creativity and freedom they both provide me, and I learn to be so much more aware during shoots because I do both. For example: posing a model; I wasn’t really aware that models needed direction posing until I started modeling myself. On a couple occasions I required assistance from the photographer to position myself perfectly, so the photograph would be one in a million!

6. What do you find is the biggest challenge in photography?  
  The biggest challenge other than making enough money would be, being 100% satisfied with the work I do. I always want to become better, have a crisper image, or test out a different style of photographs. My goal is to make Photography my fulltime job!

7. What would you say to people who are new to photography and trying to get into it?    
  Keep your eyes on where you want to go, and go for it!

8. You do everything from weddings, to portfolios for models, what is your favorite type of shoot?
  I would have to say my favorite type of shoot is my creative-conceptual shoots , they provide an opportunity for my subjects to step out of everyday life and into a storybook fantasy – full of colour, mystery and adventure. There is nothing quite like playing dress-up with a friend (new or old) and creating beautiful one-of-a-kind works of art. I also love shooting pets and wildlife. I grew up surrounded by animals - I truly admire their beauty and honesty. As a photographer, I revel in their unpredictability.

www.shootorbeshot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment